Thursday, May 29, 2014

The biggest lesson I *almost* learned the hard way

During a partner belay check, do you check that their hair is pulled back away from their face and devices?

You should! And here's why.

After a successful send of a climb, I attached my personal anchor to the top and began to clean the route. I threaded the rope through my ATC (rappel device) and began to lower down. I was about 5 feet from the ground when a sense of panic rippled through my body.

My hair was going through the ATC with the rope. I began to feel the tugging weight on my scalp and I started to kick my legs around. My boyfriend, Colin, was down on the ground looking up in confusion.

I yelped, "MY HAIR IS STUCK. MY HAIR IS STUCK!!" Tears started to swell up and I was in full panic mode. Colin quickly grabbed hold of my legs and tucked his shoulder under my butt. He was able to lift me enough to create slack on the rope and I was able to pull my hair out from the ATC. I lowered the rest of the way to the ground and found myself shaking from adrenaline. That was far too close of a call! I nearly lost a patch of my hair.

So please for your sake and for your climbing partners sake, make a "hair check" a part of your pre-climbing ritual.



Here are the checks Colin and I always make before a climb!

Belayer check

  • Rope flaked and ready?
  • Rope feeding through belay device correctly?
  • Carabiner locked?
  • Hair tied back and away from belay device?
  • Harness check (double backed)?
  • Helmet on?

Climber check

  • Harness check (double backed)?
  • Figure 8 knot & properly feeding through harness?
  • Chalk bag open?(ready for use)
  • Hair tied back and away from belay device?
  • Climbing shoes on?
  • Quick draws (if you're leading)?
  • Anchors (if you're leading)?
  • Personal anchor (if you're cleaning)?
  • Helmet on?

What's on your pre-climbing check? Is there anything I should add to mine??

Come follow my adventures on Instagram and feel free to contact me anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment